Sunday, September 26, 2010

People Always Fail, God Never Does

I was told one of my posts was too long. So here's the short and sweet version. In the past few days, I've witnessed what happens when people fail other people both in my personal life and in the public spotlight. The problem is not that someone failed somebody, but rather that the somebody had too much faith in the someone. If you catch an unsavory character doing an unsavory act there won't be too much surprise. Perhaps one would still be disgusted or even offended, but not shocked or appalled. However, if you catch a righteous person doing an unsavory act you're going to be floored! Both scenarios include unsavory actions, but only one ends in devastation.

I have to KEEP learning this lesson the hard way. I keep letting people get too much access and putting them on pedestals that are way too high. Eventually winds blow or the ground shakes and it all comes crashing down to the ground. The humanity is shown, wrong is done, and hurt it felt. What's worse is that I KNOW I take things to heart and am somewhat sensitive. So while I'm processing whatever emotions and many times getting physically sick, the other person is living their life carefree. At the very least, they are not thinking about me and our strained relationship.

What does this mean? Realistically, I cannot change the part of me that has a sensitive heart. I tried and failed. Plus, there's a reason why God made me the way I am. On the flip side because my heart is the way it is, sometimes God allows me to feel empathy for those that no one else sees. Since, I can't change my characteristics, I can change the way I manage myself. If you're anything like me, perhaps these words will bless you too.

In order to avoid further heartbreak I must:

Fully rely on God alone: Godly people are not God. It doesn't matter how sweet or on the path they may seem. They will fail me. Why spend time fussing with the creation when you can interact DIRECTLY with the Creator?

Realize that everyone else is in progress too. No matter how much I want people to be whole, they are works in progress just like I am. I shouldn't be so taken aback when their humanity shows through the cracks. God's not through working yet.

Hold firm to a godly standard of appropriate and inappropriate ways for people to interact with me. If I make it clear (to myself as much to other people) that I only accept certain kinds of treatment, hold fast to that standard! DO NOT say one thing and then change my mind trying to appease that person. Straight up: anyone who can't treat me right doesn't need to be in my life. There's only growth or decay. THERE IS NO IN BETWEEN OR STANDING STILL!

Anyway, this is already too long. I'm done for the day. Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Nice. You have DEF ministered and blessed me with this word! I am thankful you tagged me to this b/c I have been going through the same realizations, just wasn't able to articulate it so eloquently! Thank you. I am glad we are on the journey together, posts like this make me realize I am not the only one going and growing through changes. I love you sisterfriend! Keep learning and loving!

    Peace

    ReplyDelete