Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Ph.D. student who hates to write...

Alas,

I am the poor soul mentioned in this title. It's funny, huh? There's something about writing that just annoys me. Assignments in school seem like huge barriers that I never seem to have enough energy to overcome. When I think about writing I start to get sleepy. I always felt like, "Can't I just say it?!" However, this is not the case. I just read some advice to Ph.D. students that said the only way to get better at writing is by doing a lot of it. The author recommends that new students write a blog - even if no one else reads it - to practice the art of writing. Clearly, I fit the bill here. I have one follower and I neglect this thing anyway so I'm lucky to have him. I'm actually supposed to be writing a paper right now and I just don't want to do it - at all. My mind is tired.

The great thing about being a Ph.D. student is I get to analyze and debate all the time. It's expected of me. I hear horror stories of people leaving the wonderful world of college to enter environments that rival Office Space and Dilbert cartoon strips. In these dreary workplaces, they trade free-thinking and constant self-discovery for conformity and learning the art of budgeting. Not to be mistaken, grad school definitely has not spared me from all of the harsh realities of adulthood. However, I kind of get to kick back a bit more. For one thing, I definitely do not have to be anybody's anything anytime near 8 am.

This life is cool and I am undoubtedly grateful for it. However, one of the main drawbacks is that the thinking NEVER STOPS! You want to kick back and enjoy life, but there's always another article or book to be read. Your mind is constantly analyzing and entertaining debate. Soon, all conversations seem to find their way to your dissertation topic - the one that you really haven't identified and keep changing in your head. On one hand, you love what you do. On the other, it seems to take you closer to the brink of insanity daily.

Then you have moments like I'm having right now. You need to finish writing so you can attempt to get a little sleep before you have to start a new day. (Note: There are no definite boundaries of days for the graduate or professional student. It's just periods of time that seem to be one big blur. Distinguishing moments include papers, tests, class periods, meal times, and the occasional social outing. However, they all run together.) However, the writing seems soooo....ugh. There's really no word for it - just ugh.

Enter Facebook and Youtube. These twin time wasters provide the allusion that you are "sharpening the saw" and loosening up yourself so that you'll be refreshed when you return to writing. SIKE! When you return to the writing you want to do it even less. This time you're even more sleepy and it's now hours later. Where did the time go? Now you're frustrated at yourself for wasting more time.

The fact is: there is no getting around the writing. It's inescapable. So it's actually very simple. if you want to get past this assignment, class, semester, phase in the process, and ultimately get the degree you MUST write. *sigh*

So I'm taking a deep breath while trying to limit my grumbling and fighting the sleep that threatens to overtake me. I MUST WRITE! Ta-ta for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment